[Resolved] Incident - App might crash when Google Maps is used

There is an issue with Google Maps that started few hours ago that may crash the app. This affects some or most Android apps that use Google Maps SDK. In HomeHabit, Map and Weather Radar will crash the whole app on affected devices.

Google is aware of the issue and working on a fix according to status on twitter: https://twitter.com/googlemaps/status/1253419390046834691
Whoever is interested, here is official Google Maps bug report: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/154855417

Will post update here whenever the issue is resolved.

Update from Google:

We have identified a possible root cause for the crash and are undoing the change.

Another update from Google:

Mitigation work is currently underway by our engineering team; roll-out of a potential fix is in-progress.

Update from Google:

We believe the crashes of Google Maps SDK are partially resolved. Full resolution is expected to complete by Thursday, 2020-04-23 19:45 US/Pacific.

From Google:

Description: We believe the crashes in the Google Maps SDKs should be fixed for iOS, but Android users might still see some crashes.

Please note that even after full resolution, the first launch of an application might still trigger a crash. Restarting the application once more should fix the issue

The fix was successfully rolled out server-side by Thursday, 2020-04-23 15:22 PDT.
However, the Maps SDKs for iOS and Android will continue crashing until they get the fixed data from Google’s servers.

For Maps SDK for Android, the full resolution is expected to be reached by Thursday, 2020-04-23 22:45 PDT at the latest.

Thanks for prompt information,
it seems that my installation met with this situation,few minutes ago i found crashed application, and sent report from crash, I understand that by simply remove google maps gadget to allows application to start again , if yes tell me if are any chance to editing configuration without start application?Thanks Slawek

It is impossible to remove a widget, since it crashes right at the start.
The only thing is to wait at this point. None of the apps on my personal phone are working yet.

It doesn’t look like it has been fixed yet. From Google:

In our previous updates we mentioned that we expected crashes in Maps SDK for Android to disappear by the latest by Thursday, 2020-04-23 22:45 PDT. However, based on internal monitoring and on external developer reports, it appears there are crashes remaining in a number of applications. We apologize for setting incorrect expectations, and we’ll continue our investigations.

From Google:

Based on additional investigations, it appears the remaining crashes might be due to some race condition, where the updated data doesn’t get fetched early enough, leading to a crash loop.

We are working with highest priority on a new fix, but current ETA for deployment is around 48 hours.

There seems to be a possible workaround available now that will allow to delete corrupt maps data.
The patch build should be available shortly.

The workaround fix is ready, and will start rolling out within next hour.

The patch release is rolling out now, version 1.2 (4760).

The app might start in the safe mode - click “restart”. The fix should be applied after the restart.

The patch works fine, but you need to upload the update from the PlayStore.