23" Wall Mounted Tablet Project

Just a sneak peak at a project I’ve wanted to do for a while…
Finally managed to get my hands on a cheap 23" touchscreen monitor and am using an Odroid UX4 running Android 8.0…

More details and photos coming later as I only got it up and running yesterday…

Also need to figure out how to mount it nicely to the wall :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow. That’s a lot of widgets.

I spent a bit of time trying to search out large tablets to display more at once. I failed as there aren’t any recent android tablets bigger than 10 inch. I never thought to look at touch screens. What is it hooked up to? Just that board running android with output to screen? Easy to set up with touch?

That said, I ended up going for 8 inch amazon fires. The price was amazing, but also I have them on display in highly visible places, rather than hidden away as an administrator console, so I wanted them easy to understand and use, and attractive.

I’ll be watching this though, to see how you get on.

Nice job. You got a link for the touchscreen you got?

Hi. congratulations for the tuk project is gorgeous!
I also have a touch screen totem that is Windows only … I tried with an emulator like bluiris but in addition to slowing everything down, home habit is not compatible.
do you have a solution for Windows as well as obviously reaching the hassio ip address ??

I haven’t made much progress on this because the Odroid board running android is fairly unreliable… I haven’t found a decent solution yet on how to run full android on something that can plug into my touchscreen…

Anyone got any ideas?

Sorry, was a TradeMe special so don’t have a link…

It’s hooked up to an Odroid UX4 running Android 8.0… Touch works out of the box so that bit was easy :slight_smile: Getting the Play store working was the challenge!

1 Like

Still no major updates as the Odroid UX4 single board computer that I’m running on kept crashing and hanging… Today I removed the USB wifi stick and plugged in a LAN cable and it seems MUCH more stable!
I’m still toying with layout and have been testing out how the Outlook Calendar and Tasks integration looks…
The new “Dark” theme is also looking good!

1 Like

I’m hoping to revisit this project again soon. So if anyone has advice on a single board computer that can reliably run Android please let me know!!!

I also wanted to use a large panel, eventually I used 10 inch tablets and put it in an aluminum frame to order. (Aluminum profile that is used for framing pictures and photos.) Keep going!

2 Likes

Cool, you should also share some screenshots in the Screenshots topic :+1::laughing:

1 Like

I’ve just purchased an “Orange Pi Zero 2” which apparently runs Android 10… So hopefully this might be a more stable solution for my big screen…
AliExpress though so delivery will take a while.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Just sharing my main hall setup, a 23" Viewsonic touchscreen running with a RPi4 with LineageOS. It’s running smoothly. I also have a few 10" and 7" tablets around the house, all of them running Homehabit. Hoping for dynamic backdrops to be a reality soon :smiley:

My first approach was having a lot of info in one page but I found it to be very tiring and separated information on different pages and have the dashboard cycle through them. I also have the screensaver with dozens of custom photos, so the screen also works as a kind of giant picture frame. Maybe I’ll add a motion sensor so it changes to turn on and off the screensaver on motion.

1 Like

You might notice I don’t have any light or switch controls, as I found it not to be very useful on that screen.
I prefer having those on their respective rooms.

Living room: : H96Max Android Box with 10" touchscreen from AE

Kitchen : BMax i10 Tablet

1 Like

Also a tiny 7" cheap touchscreen running on an also very cheap chinese Android box. This is one is right next to the front door, with actions to turn on some scenes or turn off everything. It also has a page with my servers monitoring. The screen was installed on a regular picture frame.

Last but not least, on the hallway to the bedrooms, an 8" inch brandless tablet that I got as an offer for subscribing a magazine. It’s placed on the wall using a tablet/phone magnet from Ali.

My most recent implementation was having HomeAssistant turn off everything when I go to sleep or leave the house, including putting the screens to sleep, also doing the opposite when I arrive. I seem to have made it work with ADB commands, so far it seems to be working good using my phone’s location.

1 Like